06/15/09

 

My Photo Gallery

Photos from the apiary - and extraction jobs.

Swarm To Hive

After brushing most of bees into hive body other go marching in. A sign that we have the queen in the hive.

Swam On Post

April 15 2008 - Our first swarm of the season - and it is one of our own.

Swarm Complete

About ready to move to stand.

Beeyard

Early spring shot of the beeyard

Beeyard2

Another view

Beeyard3

Someone went wild on the shutter

Beeyard again

Notice bees at entrance - busy bees

A cutout in downtown Fredericksburg

The bees are in the wall in the upper left corner. We used a RayTek infrared heat sensor (mechanics tool) to measure temperatures and found the cluster. They had only moved in 1 week before.

Cutout view 2

This is a closeup of bees in the accewss hole. The main cluster is above this point.

Our access openning

We only cut a small openning make repair easier. WE also filled the lower space in wall with newspaper. This was to prevent bees from falling into lower wall - notice that this home had no insulation.

We used our bee vac to collet the bees. It was about 3 lb swarm. There was only one small piece of comb that was knocked out by the vac hose. The bees were moved from the vac cage to hive in beeyard with no problems. Another expansion for the queen raising plans.

First Grafting Day

This is my initial attempt at grafting on May 11 2008. I am using a stainless steel grafting hook and doing a dry graft into natural wax cups. The breeder is the Glenn VSH queen. I had trouble getting the larva to pick up on the tool. One of biggest problems was that I would insert the tool too far into the cell and break through the bottom of the cell.

Orange County - 130 yrs old farm house.

Wooden lapboard siding with square nails. Colony reported to have been at site for 15 year. heat detection indicates main colony is between two studs level with middle of window.

Orange County - Getting intial access

Bees are a little 'hot'

Take a break - main colony exposed

The Nest

It turns out that the colony was wider that we thought. Most of the comb on the left is empty. That is reason it did not show on heat detection. There was some honey and bees at the top of this. Right hand side is completely covered with bees, brood and some honey/pollen.

The Nest view 2

Using the Bee Vac

Wanted to collect some of the bees to lower numbers when cutting comb. The initial vac process got about 3 lb of bees. Sadly, most of these died - the vac was set just a little high and it was picking up some honey - which completly coated the bees in the vac.

Orange - A long time latter.

Brood wired into frames, drone brood stored to side, empty comb in trash bag for wax, honey in two tubs.

Orange - final Vac of bee clusters

Lots of bees still flying but be got most of them. Second vac cage has about 4 lb of bees. This is in addition to all those nurse bees we got when wiring brood into frames (9 frames of brood),

We left siding off - owners son to replace in about 3-4 days. We thought it best for loose bees to cleanup honey mess that we left behind. A 3.5 hr job

This site was last updated 06/02/08